- I grew up in the UK, but have travelled to more than 40 countries since then and lived in six of them: Spain, Mexico, Togo, Slovenia, Belgium and Canada.
- I studied Modern Languages at university, including French, Spanish, and Slovene. I have also studied Serbian, Croatian, Portuguese, and German.
- I was the only person to graduate with Slovene in the whole of Britain the year Slovenia joined the EU and was headhunted for a translation job in Brussels.
- After two years in Belgium, I moved to London, and fell into a job at the BBC as an assistant. The boss sent me on a journalism course, even though I wasn’t working in news.
- That launched a decade-long career in media, writing and editing for multiple BBC news desks, for CBC national and local online and TV news, and for Daily Hive Vancouver.
- I moved to Vancouver in 2011, and have since learned to snowboard, bought a home here, become a permanent resident and applied for Canadian citizenship.
- As of 2018, I am now enjoying a break, writing a children’s book, training to hike Machu Picchu, and figuring out what my third career should be.
Weird facts about me:
- I have a Blue Peter badge for being part of a mass hula hooping world record
- I have a Paddle Canada Level 1 certificate from Deep Cove Kayaking Club
- I make my own cheese and age it in a wine fridge I turned into a cheese cave
Finally, here are some recommendations from my former colleagues at Daily Hive, the CBC and BBC c/o LinkedIn:
Previously Vancouver City Editor, now Founder at Blank Slate Content
Jenni tackles every assignment with an equal mix of professionalism and enthusiasm. Her writing is pitch-perfect, her ideas are stellar, and her ability to go beyond the headline and get to the real meat of a story unparalleled. She’s far more than a great writer however. She was the conscience of our newsroom, and the face of the brand for everyone from senior political figures to A-list celebs. Throw in an ability to lead others and you have someone who I would hire in a heartbeat should the opportunity arise again.
Investigative Reporter – CBC.ca, CBC Radio & CBC TV
Jenni Sheppard is a digital storytelling genius. Over the past few years she has mentored me and taught me so much about how to build a story so readers will be engaged until the end. She is a sharp journalist with a decisive nose for a good story. She makes every story she touches better. Feel free to contact me if you would like to know more about this talented woman.
Previously Reporter/Editor at CBC, now Director, Media Relations & Communications at Pace Group
Jenni sits beside me in our newsroom so I have a unique perspective on her performance. I can tell you she is the epitome of patience and grace as deadlines, questions and streams of copy come under her scrutiny. She is, at all times, calm, smart and professional. She is an asset to CBC Vancouver’s online team.
Producer at CBC/Radio-Canada
Jennifer Sheppard is an excellent writer and journalist. She thinks ahead, foresees issues and problems and heads them off. She catches errors, digs deeper, gets to the heart of the story and the journalistic issue involved. She is so easy to work with, always makes you feel good, is very respectful. She is very advanced in her understanding of digital media. Never makes luddites feel stupid though. She is a leader, and is meant to lead a digital network. (Among her many abilities.) I can’t recommend her highly enough. One of those people who is incredibly smart and knowledgeable, but never makes others around them – who are not at her level – feel stupid. The opposite. So respectful and acknowledging of others abilities. She is a natural leader.
Senior Business Reporter with CBC News
When it comes to a colleague, Jenni is the package deal. She works hard and is efficient, both very important qualities in daily news. More than that she brings a sense of creativity to her work and is constantly thinking outside the box. This is a very important skill when it comes to the changing media landscape, and how journalists will deliver the news going forward. Plus her personality brings a fun energy and positive vibe to the workplace.
Digital content creator, consultant and strategist
Jenni is a talented journalist who has good news judgement and editing skills. She has a great interest and flare for online news and the use of social media in telling a story. She has an eye for pictures and consistently produced work of a high quality. She was always reliable, got on well with the rest of the team and was full of ideas.
Editor, BBC College of Journalism website and events
Jenni was a creative, hard working and loyal member of the UGC Hub. She has substantial expertise in social media and showed good judgement and attention to detail in her work. She was a constant source of new ideas and her delivery of them was always impeccable. She showed initiative, good humour and intelligence in her work. I can recommend her without hesitation.